To enable selected applicants to undertake research in the realm of their PhD or medical specialisation at one of the 10 Swiss cantonal universities, the two Swiss federal institutes of technology, the public teaching and research institutes or the universities of applied sciences.
Highly qualified postgraduate researchers from all academic fields as well as young medical doctors.
- Master’s degree or equivalent university degree recognised by the Swiss university. The applicant must have achieved this degree before the start of the scholarship next September. As a proof, the degree has to be submitted to the Federal Commission for Scholarships before the start of the scholarship.
- Applicants must be born after 31 December 1983.
- Applicants who have been in Switzerland for more than one year at the beginning of the scholarship in September are not eligible.
- Applicants must provide a letter from an academic host professor (including her/his short CV) at the chosen Swiss university confirming why she/he is willing to supervise and support the research. Without such support, the application will be rejected.
- Applicants must have a research proposal including a timeframe. This is the centrepiece of the application. The applicant must devote all required attention to it.
- Applicants must be in command of the necessary language skills required for the research/studies.
- Applicants who have already benefited from a Swiss Government Excellence Scholarship are not eligible to apply for a second scholarship. Scholarship holders are expected to move to Switzerland during their grant period.