NAIST was founded in 1991 as a Japanese national university consisting solely of graduate schools in the three areas of information science, biological sciences, and materials science to redefine graduate-level education. At present, over 1,000 students—roughly 25% from overseas—are supervised by 200 NAIST faculty members. With its cutting-edge facilities and a 5 to 1 student-to-faculty ratio, NAIST’s world-leading research and education are a direct result of its rich, global environment and supportive infrastructure. Moreover, the outstanding achievements of NAIST’s faculty and students are shared world-wide through patents, licenses, spin-off companies, and active exchange with overseas partners. As a result, NAIST has quickly established itself as a world-class research and education center where young scientists and engineers become tomorrow’s global leaders.
NAIST is located in Ikoma City, in Japan’s historic Nara Prefecture. Home of the first official capital of Japan, Nara Prefecture has an incredibly rich history as a center for international trade and relations. In addition to its prolific ancient heritage, Nara Prefecture is also conveniently located in close proximity to Kyoto and Osaka, and just 90 minutes from Kansai International Airport
NAIST’ s Guiding Concept: Education through Research
- Research-Focused Environment: NAIST was established without undergraduate programs to allow the faculty to commit themselves towards achieving superior research results to lead their respective fields.
- Research-Based Education: Through the research of our accomplished faculty and collaboration with industry and academic partner institutions, NAIST's students learn both in traditional settings and through hands-on experience at the forefronts of science and technology.
Multidisciplinary-Focused Educational Programs
NAIST produces creative leaders in research and skilled engineers to be active in domestically and abroad, pivoting around information, biological and materials sciences and focusing on their interdisciplinary fields that evolve from frontier science.
- Master’s Program develops human resources with specialized knowledge and training, a wide understanding of the related interdisciplinary fields, and the ability to approach issues and phenomena holistically to undertake the application of science and technology and its innovation throughout society.
- Doctoral Program fosters international awareness, self-reliance, and independence and develop researchers and skilled engineers with high ambitions that will advance the boundaries of science and technology taking leading roles throughout international industry, academia and government.
Internationalization efforts are focused on expanding NAIST's global research and education network throughout the globe, while also enhancing the international environment and community that is a central part of our institution. Exchange agreements with over 100 overseas institutions enable NAIST to send and receive numerous researchers and students globally each year to further develop the ties necessary for world renowned research and leading education programming. We invite students from other institutions to take part in a wide variety of events, internships, research experiences, and summer camps. The International Faculty and Staff Development Programs invite specialists from overseas and sends faculty and staff abroad for training to foster continual educational improvement.
International Network Developments
- Overseas collaborative labs in France, Canada and America
- Overseas offices in Thailand and Indonesia
- Double Degree programs with 6 international universities
For NAIST’s international activities, visit at http://www.naist.jp/en/international_activities/